Tuesday 2 July 2013

I Made You A Mixtape Part 1.

Today I was having a little root around the CD cupboard at home and I stumbled across a homemade mix CD from years ago. The range of tracks on there was ridiculous, going from some really dark remixes of people like Marina and the Diamonds and Phoenix, to Jazz and Blues tracks. My 15 year old self was obviously pretty bipolar in her music choices.

As amusing (and in some cases embarrassing) as this was it got me thinking. My taste still is pretty eclectic and I thought I'd share with you some tracks that I would put on a mix CD if I made one now. Some of these songs are brand new, some are years old. The one thing they do have in common though is my love for them, hopefully you might find one in here that you love too!

1. Chemicals - Various Cruelties.
I first heard this track on a Jack Wills promotional video and have loved it ever since. It just makes me think of summer, and gives me an incredible urge to frolic merrily through a field or along a beach.

2. Tonight -  Theme Park
I have been a big fan of Theme Park for quite a while now, but I first heard this track during my first term at uni and so now will forever associate it with the madness and joy of being a fresher. It is so uplifting and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside (don't let that put you off, its actually very cool).

3. Violent Young - The Analog Affair
This track is epic. I was sent it to review for Vulture Hound, a music, film and TV online magazine and fell in love with it from first play. Its rather inconspicuous start opens out into a majestic electro synth-scape, that is as addictive as it is wonderful. Be warned, you will have this on repeat.

4. Ever Fallen In Love - Nouvelle Vague
This cover of The Buzzcocks classic is a delight. Made for sunny days and holidays.

5. Blackout (Amtrac Remix) - Wretch 32 Feat. Shakka
Annie Mac is a goddess and her Friday night show on Radio 1 is beyond perfect. Anything featured on her show generally gets my seal of approval and I am certainly not averse to a house or D&B remix. This Amtrac remix of Wretch 32 is pre-drink perfection.

6. Polish Girl - Neon Indian
An absolute tune from start to finish, this is the song I set as my alarm on those days when I need to spring from my bed rather than roll out of it.

7. The Bay - Metronomy
 
 Summer in a song. Need I say more?

8. Party Talk - Craft Spells
I don't quite know what it is about this song that makes me love it so much, but I do. The aged quality to the recording makes this really special and makes me think of misty autumn mornings.

9. Hidden Ground - David's Lyre
I would put every track from the album 'Picture of Our Youth' if I could. David's Lyre has the most beautiful voice and his whole album gives me chills. So relaxed, this album is perfect to immerse yourself in to. Hidden Ground is one of my album highlights.

10. My Oh My (PALMFooD & Stamusic. Remix) - Tristan Prettyman
This track is an excellent example of remixes at their best. I heard this mix before I heard the original of this song and loved it, so assumed I would love its mother. Not so much. Tristan Prettymans voice is stunning but the track itself is so bad! PALMFooD & Stamusic, I salute you.

There are so many songs I could have picked for this post, it took a long time to whittle them down to 10! Hopefully I'll do other posts like this in the future and those other tracks will get a chance to be shared. What did you think of my selections, do you have anything you think I might like? Leave your comments below!

2 comments:

  1. I love that Theme Park track!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good isn't it? I think it might even be their best track!

      Delete