Monday 24 June 2013

And So It Begins...

On a very misty morning in Warwickshire, Jennifer and I headed off on our first adventure. Our destination: Warwick Castle, one of the biggest and best tourist attractions in our leafy county.

The last time I visited the castle I was 12, so going back and exploring was pretty exciting, we definitely reverted back to our 12 year old selves!

Warwick itself is worth a visit, really sweet residential roads lead off the towns main streets and exploring these is where we started our day. If you wander down this sweet, but inconspicuous street...
 

 You are greeted by this:

Pretty impressive I think you'll agree? Imagine looking out of your bedroom window and seeing that every day?

A little further up into Warwick from here you get your first proper glimpse of the castle and its riverside location.

For entry to the castle you can pay a basic rate and have access to the castle and grounds or pay a little more and enter some of the extra attractions that Warwick are so good at. Jennifer and I decided to experience the whole lot (although we later came to regret that). Ticket details and prices can be found here.

The grounds and castle are incredibly impressive. You could easily spend a whole day in the grounds, so vast is the foot print of the castle.


 Most ridiculous picture frame I have ever seen.


 

 A literature students dream.
 Award for the ultimate bed goes to this!
 If you have the energy I would really recommend walking the castle battlements. Climb the increasingly steep spiral staircases and you will be rewarded with incredible views (be warned that those steps are not for the faint hearted, or those with a fear of heights!).






 After that climb it is definitely time for a rest, take yourself down by the river for a picnic or go and watch some of the live shows played out in the grounds.
 
Now, if you, like us decide to pay for the extra attractions you will be 'treated' to a trip into the Castle Dungeons. Brilliant but absolutely terrifying! A word to the wise, don't make eye contact with the actors (or make my fatal error of smiling at them) because they will pick on you. I found myself with my head on a wooden block with an axe dangling above me. I definitely hadn't imagined my day taking that direction! Photos aren't allowed in the dungeons but if you love being scared out of your wits you can find out more here.
 
Warwick Castle was an excellent start to our adventures, and if the rest are anywhere near as good, I'm headed for a great couple of months!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment